I am an ordinary person, closely acquainted with imperfection and frailty, who boasts about the greatness of Jesus Christ and His transforming work in my life. Wife, homeschooling mother of 5, and musician/song writer. My desire is to share from my journey and hopefully be an encouragement to others.

Friday, November 15, 2013

You Prepare a Table for Me

"It's all about presentation."

For me, presentation isn't about putting on airs.
It's not about trying to 'act better than I am, or pretending to be superior in any way'. 
(idioms.thefreedictionary.com)

I simply love to see the beauty.
A beautiful bowl, a beautiful table cloth, 
a mix of colors and textures,
beautifully displaying the food I am going to serve ...


Presentation, for me, doesn't have anything to do with a duty or obligation.
For me it is a natural extension.  An artistic expression.  A joy.  
I think I have always enjoyed presenting food and drink for gatherings. 
My talent for this may not equal my desire and enthusiasm, but that's okay. 


My mother is the one who showed me how beautiful plain cheese puffs can look in a pretty glass bowl. 









And cheese balls and crackers are lovely (and easy to reach) 
when served on a cake plate.







Over the years my mom has collected glass serving bowls and dishes. 

 On occasion she passes one on to me...  


like this beautiful punch bowl.  I use cups from different sets and really think it adds to the charm.  It doesn't bother me if no one else notices or appreciates the presentation.  We all have different tastes and likes.  My hope is simply that my family and friends enjoy the gathering and feel loved.

Homemade caramel corn served in a glass bowl looks exquisite to me.  And I want my guests to feel special.  Maybe that's one of my love languages... 

because I do it for enjoyment and as an expression of my love.

And then I'm reminded of Psalm 23
The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want
He makes me lie down in green pastures
He leads me beside still waters
He restores my soul
He leads me in paths of righteousness, for His name's sake
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I will fear no evil,
For You are with me
Your rod and Your staff comfort me


You prepare a table for me 
in the presence of my enemies
You anoint my head with oil
My cup overflows
Surely goodness and mercy will follow me
all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.



He prepares a table for me.  I imagine that He will take great care and be very attentive to all the details in order that the feast be exquisite.  It is, after all, His delight and an expression of His love. 

~my grateful heart




No comments:

Post a Comment