I am an ordinary person, closely acquainted with imperfection and frailty, who boasts about the greatness of Jesus Christ and His transforming work in my life. Wife, homeschooling mother of 5, and musician/song writer. My desire is to share from my journey and hopefully be an encouragement to others.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Almond Joy-filled Diet

The kingdom of God is not meat or drink
but righteousness, peace and joy ... 

These words are from a chorus we used to sing.  
It came to my mind as I sat down to begin working on this post. 

... joy, peace and righteousness in the Holy Ghost ... 

My family is blessed in that we have never known hunger.  I never remember being out of food when I lived with my parents, and my children have never gone without food in our home.  Sadly, this alone sets us apart from a large portion of the humans that inhabit this planet. 

Food is a wonderful thing for nourishment and pleasure.  It provides us with energy and comfort. Without food our bodies are unable to function the way God intended.  

In an effort to eat "better", I have been changing our diet over the course of several years.  The idea of making a drastic overnight change didn't seem reasonable for us ... just not a good idea. Gradual change in the way I think about food, the food I purchase and what I serve seems more realistic for me. 

Part of the change has been introducing more almonds into our daily routine.  We do this through almond milk, raw almonds, almond butter and the use of almond flour.  

Today I tried a new recipe for pancakes using almond flour.  I wasn't sure how the kiddos would react, but they raved about how good they tasted.  The pancakes are tasty but the consistency is very different from pancakes made with regular flour.  This was my greatest concern, that my kids would find the texture too unusual.  Apparently, this did not bother them at all.  


I am grateful for children willing to try new foods and thankful for the food God has placed in our hands.

You can find the recipe from Beyond Diet  here on Pinterest.  I pinned it to one of my boards.  

As for the candy bar, Almond Joy, I think I may have tasted one a very long time ago.  I'm more of a Butterfingers type.  

No comments:

Post a Comment