I am an ordinary person, closely acquainted with imperfection and frailty, who boasts about the greatness of Jesus Christ and His transforming work in my life. Wife, homeschooling mother of 5, and musician/song writer. My desire is to share from my journey and hopefully be an encouragement to others.

Friday, November 1, 2013

Grateful for Caramel Apples

We give thanks.
Join me for a special series on living intentionally grateful.  

Each day this month we'll take a look at  
being grateful, on purpose (or with purpose), and what that looks like.


Today I am grateful for caramel apples.  Not because they are yummy, although they are, but because our family enjoys making and eating them.  Families need activities that create mutual delight.  

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.  Psalm 37:4

When one of my daughters makes caramel apples, everyone leaves whatever they are doing and hurries to the kitchen to stand around and enjoy the treat.  In the case of caramel apples, they are usually a  spontaneous activity in our home.  No special occasion.  No purposeful planning.  No particular reason.

My heart is grateful for these moments where our family connects and we revel in a common, mutual delight.  All families need these times, but I sometimes feel my family needs them more earnestly.  With one biological child, one child adopted from Ukraine as a baby and three older children adopted from Russia, we need a special measure of grace in interacting and connecting as family.  

He has made everything beautiful in its time.
Ecclesiastes 3:11

I am grateful for the work that God, through the Holy Spirit, is doing in our precious family.  And I am grateful that He chooses simple (and delicious) things, like caramel apples, as a beautiful means of penetrating the walls of our hearts, filling us with laughter and planting within us the seeds of belonging and memories that will remain.  

~ my grateful heart


No comments:

Post a Comment