I am an ordinary person, closely acquainted with imperfection and frailty, who boasts about the greatness of Jesus Christ and His transforming work in my life. Wife, homeschooling mother of 5, and musician/song writer. My desire is to share from my journey and hopefully be an encouragement to others.

Monday, November 4, 2013

Grateful for the Bible

We give thanks.
Join me for a special series on living intentionally grateful.  



Each day this month I'll share what being grateful, on purpose (or with purpose), means to me and what that looks like in my life.


I have hidden Your word in my heart that I might not sin against You.  Psalm 119:11

Oh, Lord, how can I express what Your word means to me?  
There exists a reverence for the Holy Scriptures within me that is born out of a lifetime relationship. 
How does one have a relationship with a book?!  

Left alone and unopened, a Bible can look somewhat austere.  To the casual observer the Bible may appear full of unimportant, useless and boring information or pages filled with centuries old stories that may or may not be accurate.  I see the Bible as a book that must be experienced.   

It is true that I have been guilty of thinking at times that the Bible was boring.  There have been nights that I fell asleep while trying to read from the Old Testament.  I must also admit, that working my way through Leviticus and the book of Numbers has left me glassy eyed and uninspired.  Reading the major and minor prophets has caused me to scratch my head, and attempting to read the book of Revelation can be seriously
intimidating. 

Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.  Revelation 1:3

The more time I've spent reading the Bible the more attached to it I've become.  When the Bible is read aloud there is an immediate connection of affection to the words I hear.  I believe this is because the Bible is a living document.  Paul wrote to Timothy, "all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness..."  
 The Gospel of John tells us that "in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God ... The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us."  

In reading the Bible I have developed a relationship with the Author whose words provide comfort and clarity, hope and healing, love and liberty.  Once I committed to studying the Bible I began to find meaning and purpose in my life.  I have found wisdom within it's pages and a loving God who guides my steps in a gracious manner beyond my understanding.  

Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart.  
Psalm 119:111

  "When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight ..." 
Jeremiah 15:16  
These words from Jeremiah resonate within me because God's Word is nourishment for my spirit.  I don't always understand everything I read in the Bible, but that is not going to deter me from reading.  Why?  Because over and over and over again, God has spoken to me through His Word.  He has caused the written words on the page to come alive in my spirit and in my heart.  God opens the eyes of my understanding and reveals Himself to me.  
Ours is a personal, intimate relationship that continues to grow and deepen as I spend time 
dining on the riches of his Word.  

~my grateful heart




No comments:

Post a Comment