I am an ordinary person, closely acquainted with imperfection and frailty, who boasts about the greatness of Jesus Christ and His transforming work in my life. Wife, homeschooling mother of 5, and musician/song writer. My desire is to share from my journey and hopefully be an encouragement to others.

Saturday, January 4, 2014

An Unwelcome Blast from the Past

The Lord is my light and my salvation
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
    of whom shall I be afraid?

These verses from Psalm 27 spoke especially to me today.



Many years ago someone did me harm. Unfortunately, their actions caused me much pain and brokenness. And although I forgave this person it seemed I carried with me, throughout my life, a generous portion of emotional and mental anguish as a result of that initial pain. I am certain that this individual had no idea how Satan would use the ramifications from their actions to torment me and hold me captive. And I was tormented. I was being held captive.That is, until a few years ago when Jesus Christ offered to exchange my hurt with his healing and joy.  

I remember very clearly praying for God to set me free from anything and everything that was keeping me from walking in the abundant life He had for me.  

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.  John 10:10


The healing process has been sweet. I have been blessed with a supportive husband who prays for me and loves me unconditionally.  

And then yesterday, out of the blue, this person's face shows up on Facebook. At first it was a bit of a shock for me, but it didn't seem like I was bothered by it. After all, I had long ago forgiven them and I had also been offered this beautiful exchange of my pain for His joy.  My brokenness for His healing.  

But today I began to wear the effects of this Facebook reveal. I felt sick to my stomach and an overall sadness. A menagerie of miserable memories wanted to move into my heart and mind. It didn't make any sense to me and I knew that I didn't need to be upset. Still, I quoted from Psalm 27 throughout the day:


The Lord is my light and my salvation
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
    of whom shall I be afraid?


I talked with my husband and asked if he would pray for me.  Shortly after that, I remembered the words from 2 Cor. 10:5. 


We demolish arguments and every pretension that 
sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.


The Lord was lovingly and faithfully reminding me and instructing me to take these thoughts captive. Satan was not going to drag me backward. Of this I was certain. I was also certain that this struggle was not with the other person; this struggle was between me and my enemy. And my God was arming me with everything I needed to walk away unscathed. The Accuser has no power over me.  

We can't always know what lurks behind the bushes, ready to pounce when we walk by. But we can be prepared to ward off these attempts to deceive us.  

1 Peter 5:8
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Be alert.  Be prepared.  
Know the truth.  Know God's word.  
Pray for wisdom. Pray the Scriptures. 

I share this here in my blog as an encouragement to anyone who reads it.  It's important to know two things:  1)  know what the Word of God says.  It is truth.  2)  Satan is a liar.  Always.  

Recently, I saw this poster and shared it with my kids.  There is much to be learned from this contrast between how God interacts with us and the way Satan attacks us.  



blessings to you from my grateful heart~

  








1 comment:

  1. Seeing if it works yet from my phone....powerful post. Great poster. The challenge is to always remember where our battles come from and HOW to fight them! Press on, sister!

    ReplyDelete