I am an ordinary person, closely acquainted with imperfection and frailty, who boasts about the greatness of Jesus Christ and His transforming work in my life. Wife, homeschooling mother of 5, and musician/song writer. My desire is to share from my journey and hopefully be an encouragement to others.

Monday, April 29, 2013

The Investment

A cup of tea.  Serene and quiet morning.  
Children purposefully occupied, without objection. Laundry room quietly humming in the background.  Personally, I could linger here, with upmost contentment, quite easily. 



"... I have still and quieted my soul..."
Psalm 130:2



This type of morning is not a random happening.  It did not occur in our home by chance.  There have been hours, days and years invested in creating a peaceful, love-filled and productive home environment.  I desire for our home to be filled with laughter, activity, music, conversation .... and quiet.  My children are encouraged to engage in purposeful and creative activities.  They are instructed to encourage one another and speak kindly to one another.


"Be kind and compassionate to one another, 
forgiving each other, 
just as in Christ God forgave you."
Ephesians 4:32


And while this is not a random happening, it is also not a guarantee in our home.  The children pester one another and argue.  I find myself frustrated and often struggling to accomplish any one of the multitude things that remain undone on my "to do" list.  Time often seems wasted and noise reaches unbearable levels.  Social media and computer games become the activity of choice rather than school work or home responsibilities.  Seemingly endless barking of dogs wanting to go outside, again.


"the earth is full of His unfailing love."
Psalm 33:5


Still, I will continue to place as a priority the creation of a home environment that I desire for my family and myself.  I believe it is good for the children to learn to be purposefully occupied.  Equally, I want them to learn to enjoy the beauty of silence.  We will laugh, and talk and argue and sometimes (quite often, actually) we will not accomplish everything on our list for that day.  Prayers for our home to be filled with the peace and love of God will always be prayed.  Grace for the difficulties and frustrations will always be embraced.


"I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living."
Psalm 27:13



I am delighting in the beautiful buzz of sweet conversation between my children as I sit here typing.  Precious to my heart and meaningful beyond expression.  The blessing of home and family is a gift.  My desire to honor God as I serve Him and my family will hold fast, though our lives experience the ebb and flow of activity, change and drama (welcome and unwelcome).  Hopefully, the investment I'm making is filled with grace and guided by wisdom, allowing us to live in freedom and joy.

"I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free."
Psalm 119:32

1 comment:

  1. Love the peaceful tone of this post. Enjoyed the scripture interwoven so gracefully. I could come back to this and say AMEN, AMEN, AMEN a thousand times over. Blessings, dear one.

    ReplyDelete